Less than 10 days had passed since opening a Twitter account and with barely 10 tweets to their name, an unknown organization had somehow gained nearly 2000 Twitter followers overnight. I was floored! Naturally, being in the business of social media I had to find out how this social media magic happened. Now, before you dismiss me as jealous or cynical, I know all about going viral and having diehard fans; but believe me I’ve done my research on this organization and they have neither!!
My curiosity made me take a look at who are their followers (thank goodness Twitter allows users to see other people’s followers!) It was here I uncovered the truth behind the numbers by simply reading the followers bio:
- For a local business an over whelming number (Over 80%) of followers were not local
- Many followers were some marketing or promotions experts
- Granted this business can attract tourists, but when about a third of follower bios are in foreign languages it gives the appearance of outsourcing fans!
I’ll admit that these are not scientific research findings but they are enough for me to conclude that these Twitter followers were bought!
Measuring social media success and return on investment (ROI) is driving business owners and marketers crazy. This type of media has changed the way companies get noticed, make money and grow. Paying or using an agency that buys Twitter followers does you no good if they are not real users of your product or service; it is really not worth the effort and here’s why:
- They will never buy from you
- They will never advocate for you
- They will not engage you in any meaningful way
- This is a matter of quality over quantity
When it comes to your business and especially in social media stick to integrity and authenticity -your true followers will love you for it!